Laurinda Hofmeyr Albums
- Reis na die Suide (Protea Boekhuis and Rhythm Records, 2008) – nominated for a SAMA in the category Best Alternative Afrikaans Album.
- Ligdag (Human & Rousseau and Rhythm Records, 2003) – climbs to the number one position of the Top 30 list of the then SA Rock Digest (an internet publication). It stays on the hitlist for 13 weeks and is also nominated for four Geraas Music Awards (Album of the Year, Best Adult Contemporary Album, Best Cover Design and Best Production). The album wins the award for Best Production (directed by Jürgen von Wechmar and Schalk Joubert).
- Perd oor die maan (JNS, 1999) – establishes Laurinda Hofmeyr as a fresh, new voice. She is nominated for a SAMA award in the category Best Alternative Afrikaans Album.
Contributions to other projects
- Vaarwel aan Madiba (2013). A recording that was broadcast on the websites of Die Burger and Beeld newspapers on Mandela Day 2013 – only a few months before his death. This is also broadcast on RSG during a tribute to Madiba. This recording was a revised version of a composition requested by Die Burger in 2004 when Laurinda performed it during an event for Die Burger and the Cape Town Chamber of Commerce, with Nelson Mandela as the guest of honour. The poem used by Laurinda is a praise poem by Thabo Mbeki. In 1999, he performed it in parliament as part of his farewell speech for Madiba. These words were then translated into Afrikaans by Koos Oosthuysen and the poetic version that Laurinda used can be found in Antjie Krog’s compilation Met woorde soos met kerse.
- Die Wasgoedlyn-projek (2011 -). Recordings made by Riku Lätti (also known as Victor Wolf) of work by Laurinda and other musician friends. His concept is to record work by the likes of Rian Malan and Bachus Nel as they sound at home, i.e. the raw talent. Examples of this music are available for free on Soundcloud. (www.soundcloud/wasgoedlyn)
- Een uit ‘n miljoen (2010). Laurinda together with well-known Afrikaans singers such as Steve Hofmeyr and Kurt Darren sing some of Lucas Maree’s songs on this CD, which is recorded as part of an attempt by Alexa Strachan and the magazine Sarie to assist Maree in paying his medical bills before his death.
- Transito (2008). Laurinda writes music to Alexa Strachan’s words , which Alexa sings in this kykNET television series.
- Kersfees: Die mooiste verhaal (2004). Laurinda sings her own composition of D.J. Opperman’s poem Kersliedjie in this kykNET program.
- Hadeda (2004). Laurinda is one of the contributors to this CD by Barry van Zyl (drummer of Johnny Clegg) and guitarist Nibs van der Spuy. Other artists part of Van Zyl, Van der Spuy en Vennote are Shawn Phillips, Neo Muyanga, Concorde Nkabinde and Carlo Mombeli.
- Die liedjies wat ons ken (2003). Laurinda performs her adaptation of the lullaby Lamtietie damtietie ( J. Langenhoven / Emiel Hullebroeck) on this kykNET programme.
- Three of her compositions are to be found on CDs of Breyten Breytenbach: Om te Breyten (2000), Mondmusiek (2001) and Lady One (2002). Various musicians were asked to compose music for Breytenbach’s poems.
- Eve: Women in the garden of song (2001). Laurinda, Lesley Rae Dowling, Luna Paige, Eugenie Grobler as well as Nicole Holm can be heard on this album.
- Laurinda either plays piano or sings on albums by Valiant Swart, Zinkplaat, Koos Kombuis, Almuir Botha and Gert Vlok Nel.
- Various choirs and vocal groups record Laurinda’s compositions, as do artists like Laurika Rauch, Jannie du Toit, Marica Otto, Marié du Toit, Suzette Eloff and Lochner de Kock.
Return to Biography.